Hostapd WPA2 and XP Supplicant

Andrej Podzimek andrej
Wed Aug 13 16:05:20 PDT 2008

Hello,

the same problem (http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2008-July/018030.html) here.

But this is a completely different hardware.

Server:
	01:06.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)

Client:
	01:05.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (rev 05)

Hostapd: 0.6.4
Madwifi: 0.9.4.3382 (Newer versions cause terrible panics, network failures. That's the infamous stuck beacon problem.)
Kernel: 2.6.25.15 Vanilla (both the server and the Linux client)

Linux works just fine, connects to both EAP-TLS and WPA-PSK. (Hostapd is configured to support both.)
Pirelli VoIP phone works, too.
Windows XP keep associating and disassociating repeatedly...

Furthermore, Windows XP worked till yesterday. Several hours of strange network failures followed and then it stopped working completely. I even tried to reboot the server, but that didn't help at all.

I tried various combinations of the following on the server:
	Switching 802.11h on and off
	Switching 802.11g protection mode on and off
	Switching beacon interval from 200 WTU to 100 WTU (WTU == weird time unit)
	Switching backgroung scanning on and off
	Disabling EAP-TLS completely and keeping just WPA-PSK
***	Downgrading to Hostapd 0.5.10
	Switching pre-authentication on and off
	iwpriv ath0 bintval 200
	iwpriv ath0 bintval 100
	iwpriv ath0 bintval 50

Nothing helped. Well, it worked till yesterday. What could have happened? I have the impression that kernel 2.6.25.15 is buggy, as all the WiFi drivers sometimes produce strange memory errors (both Atheros and Intel on different computers). But it worked with 2.6.25.15 for more than a week...

Updating IntelPro software and drivers for Windows didn't help. Neither PSK nor EAP-TLS work. Is there anything I could try to fix this?

I don't know if the output of 'iwlist devicename scanning' is trustworthy or not, but according to this output, the AP only emits one beacon in about 5 seconds, *regardless* the beacon interval I set. That's wrong, isn't it...?

Cheers!

Andrej