Hostap driver works with bridge in Managed mode?

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Apr 29 14:49:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:28 -0300, Hever C. Rocha wrote:

> When the interface wlan0 is in master mode, and the AP is setting to
> client mode, the bridge works.
> When the interface wlan0 is in managed mode, and the APp is setting to
> AP Mode, the bridge does not works (ie: Unable to forward packets)
>
> This behavior is normal?

Yes.  I believe it's a limitation of the 802.11 protocol, which fuses
physical and logical layers together and only keeps 3 addresses out of 4
required to support bridging on both sides.

The only frames with all 4 addresses are WDS frames, but only APs can
exchange them.  Frames sent and received by stations use the same
address for physical and logical layers on the station side.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin