How to catch the MSK (Master Session Key) from Wpa_supplicant?

Douglas Diniz dgdiniz
Mon Apr 14 12:45:54 PDT 2008

>This ethernet interface between SS and wpa_supplicant sounds vendor
>specific design. Is that correct or is it based on some standard? I
>don't know what resulted in that kind of design (i.e., separation of EAP
>peer from SS into a separate device), but if that is indeed the best
>choice for the product, use of EAPOL frames sounds like a suitable
>mechanism here. This is just something that I would not have first
>expected from a WiMax product ;-).

The interface is very simple. I just receive a eap packet from SS software
and send it to wpa supplicant. Just it. I only check the eap message to
search for a eap success. If the message is a success I expect that the next
message from wpa supplicant is the msk. I dont need any eap state machine
here (I hope).

I had two options:

1-) Incorporate the wpa supplicant to Ss software, creating a function
interface to the Ss's software. This need a lot of time.

2-) Create this module to receive messages from SS and send to wpa
supplicant.

>OK. It sounds like the SS <-> supplicant interface is indeed vendor
>specific and as such, so would be the MSK delivery mechanism. I'm
>assuming the ethernet interface here is considered secure (e.g., it is
>just using a cross-over cable inside the box and without any external
>access). If not, the MSK delivery mechanism would need to be encrypted
>with something..

In fact i'm installing wpa supplicant in SS's host and send the messages
over localhost. So, the interface is secure.

In my place, what you would do?

Thanks.......