is preauth working with madwifi under linux?

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Sep 25 20:16:57 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 06:09:26AM -0700, Miles wrote:
> BTW, why rsn_preauth_interfaces only contains eth0? It should include ath0 or athi wireless interface.

RSN pre-authentication packets are most commonly received over the wired
interface (i.e., they come from other APs, not directly from the clients
associated with the AP). If WDS links are used, those could also be
source for these packets, but ath# would unlikely be a valid source for
them.

> I looked through hostapd source code, and doubt preauth is working:
>
> 1. I didn't see raw socket bind to 0x88c7
> 2. when preauth happens, the dest mac address is unknown address for bridge, linux kernel bridge will discard it.

I have not tested this with madwifi, but pre-authentication used to work
the last time I tested it the Host AP driver. Which version of hostapd
are you using? How have you configured your network (e.g., which
interface are in the bridge)? How do you know that Linux kernel bridge
would discard these frames and why would the destination be unknown (it
is the BSSID of the AP)? If you are using bridging for the interface(s)
that receive frames from other APs, you may need to set
rsn_preauth_interfaces to use the bridge interfacde.