Adding WPS support for hostapd / wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Oct 22 19:30:48 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 02:41:28PM +0200, Assaf Harel wrote:

> My team worked on WPS application over the past 3 months. We passed WiFi
> certification recently, and
> would like to contribute this WPS application, which is used internally
> and by customers.

> We had to modify Intel's sources a lot in order to pass WiFi
> certification (both the hostapd / wpa_supplicant patch, and wsccmd
> itself). We would like to contribute these sources to hostap project
> (under the same dual-GPL/BSD license of course).
>
> What should we take into consideration?

There are other WPS implementations for hostapd/wpa_supplicant and at
least one is currently in process of getting integrated into hostapd. It
would be useful to understand whether there are any larger differences
in the designs for these implementations and whether there are any
particular benefits in them to figure out what kind of combination would
be the best fit for hostapd/wpa_supplicant.

> Intel patches are based on version 0.4.8, and we upgraded it to 0.4.10,
> would it be acceptable or should we port to 0.5.x / 0.6.x ?

No new features will be added to the 0.4.x branch and I would rather not
add any larger changes to 0.5.x either at least not before they have
been introduced and tested in the current development branch (0.6.x). I
would assume that seeing the changes based on older versions would be
useful from the view point of being able to review the design, but the
changes will need to be ported to 0.6.x before they can be included.