Marvell 8686 does not work with WPA supplicant...

Ahmed, Suhail suhail.ahmed
Tue Oct 16 15:49:32 PDT 2007

Thanks Dan... For libertas to work with latest wpa_supplicant, do I have
to use the Pierre's new SDIO bits? For now, I need to get things working
on 2.6.22 kernel and am using the MSS sdio stack from Intel.

~Suhail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Williams [mailto:dcbw at redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:54 PM
To: Ahmed, Suhail
Cc: hostap at shmoo.com; Allyn, Mark A
Subject: Re: Marvell 8686 does not work with WPA supplicant...

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 11:32 -0700, Ahmed, Suhail wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> I am new to the wpa_supplicant mailing list. I tried to run
> wpa_supplicant with Mravell's 8686 SDIO based wifi chip, and I fail to
> associate with the AP. I am trying to run with the -Dwext options, and
> seems like marvel does not comply with wireless extensions. Seems like
> there is a file driver_marvel.c
> (http://www.nabble.com/wpa_supplicant-ad-hoc-mode%3D1-t4354388.html),
> that might solve the problem by using the driver specific -Dmarvel
> option. I cannot find this file. Does anyone know of this? Any help
> would be appreciated on this....

Upstream kernel libertas driver has support for WEXT and works with
wireless extensions just fine.  The driver has been in kernels since
2.6.22, and the SDIO bits will be in 2.6.24.  I'd suggest using that
driver instead of the marvell reference driver, unless you have specific
needs for things that the upstream kernel driver doesn't support (yet).
If you do, please let me know and we can try to add it to the upstream
kernel driver.

The Marvell reference driver is broken for many WEXT things and doesn't
support WPA with WEXT, which is just wrong.

FWIW, I have a Marvell 8686 SDIO board and worked quite closely with
Pierre Ossmann to develop the SDIO support for the upstream kernel
libertas driver, so I'm pretty familiar with most aspects of it.

Dan