WPA Association with wext versus hostap

Jouni Malinen j
Thu May 31 18:47:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 11:23:36AM -0400, Aric D. Blumer wrote:

> I have a D-Link DI-524 access point.  I am connecting to it with a
> Prism-based AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 802.11b card.  This is with Linux kernel
> version 2.6.15 on a PXA255-based handheld computer with wpa_supplicant
> 0.4.9.
>
> If I do "wpa_supplicant  -d -D wext -i wlan0 -c
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf" it associates with the DI-524 just fine.
> However, if I do "wpa_supplicant  -d -D hostap -i wlan0 -c
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf" it will not associate.

To be exact, it did associate, but did not seem to complete group key
handshake.

> Anyone have any idea why the wext wap_supplicant driver would work, and
> the hostap driver would not?

I haven't heard of this before and would have expected both driver
wrappers to work. Anyway, since Linux Wireless Extensions is the
standard way of configuring WPA/WPA2 parameters and the private ioctls
used by -Dhostap are obsoleted, there is not really much point in
spending time debugging this. If the kernel supports WE-18 or newer,
that should be used, not -Dhostap.