wpa_supplicant no longer authenticating to WPA

Jouni Malinen j
Wed May 30 19:18:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:50:57AM -0400, Brian Resnik wrote:
> After a power failure today, wpa_supplicant will no longer associate to WPA
> encrypted access points.  Non-encrypted works fine, but WPA encrypted access
> points associate, then time out during authentication, often with an
> EAPOL-Key Reset Counter error.

When was the last time you rebooted the devices (both the client and
AP)? Has anything changed in software versions or configuration?

> http://users.adelphia.net/~preponstage/wpa_supplicant.log
>
> I did not encounter this problem until the power failure earlier today.  I'm
> at a complete loss for what to do.  The EAPOL-Key Reset Counter issue seems
> to be a common one with ndiswrapper (which I am using), but all the answers
> I can find involve issues that were there from the start.  None of them seem
> to apply here.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you reproduce this issue every time? It looks like the 4-way
handshake goes through fine, but for some reason the client does not
receive (or AP does not send) the first EAPOL-Key of the group key
handshake which would be the first encrypted frame on the connection. AP
will likely end up disconnecting the client at this point and the replay
counter issue is triggered by the client driver not reporting this
disassociation/re-association to the supplicant. Or well, that would at
least be my guess on what is happening here.

Could you please re-test this with -t added to the command line for time
stamps and with the other networks removed from (or disabled in) the
configuration? I would like to see couple of attempts on connecting in
order to be able to compare timing and frame contents between the
attempts.