wifi0 exist but wlan0 no

Roberto Guida roberto.guida
Mon May 28 01:07:37 PDT 2007

Pavel Roskin ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 20:15 +0200, Roberto Guida wrote:
>> what this last line means? and what is instead that eth0 that
>> iwconfig
>> shows?
>
> Considering that it's in Master mode, it must be wlan0 renamed to eth0
> by some userspace program.  In Fedora, interfaces are matched by MAC
> address, so if would happen if you have a file
> matching /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* that contains
>
> HWADDR=your_mac
> DEVICE=eth0
>
> It may be different on other distros.  Check also /etc/iftab - it's used
> by ifrename for renaming the interfaces.

In fact in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ there is the file ifcfg-eth0
and there isn't any ifcfg-wlan0..
but in ifcfg-eth0 there isn't any line such HWADDR=mac_address..

Moreover /etc/iftab reads
eth0 mac 00:02:8a:a0:83:d6
eth1 mac 00:0a:e4:48:42:7f

So I edit /etc/iftab in
wlan0 mac 00:02:8a:a0:83:d6
eth1 mac 00:0a:e4:48:42:7f

then i've renamed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 adding also the line
HWADDR=00:02:8a:a0:83:d6 in it.

Anyway nothing has changed...
Before I've tried to use the ifrename command but:
[root at PCGUEST9G9 rob]# ifrename -i 00:02:8a:a0:83:d6 -n wlan0
Error: cannot change name of 00:02:8a:a0:83:d6 to wlan0: No such device

Any idea of what i can try more?

Thanx
Rob