madwifi_del_key && madwifi_sta_deauth (Error)

Jouni Malinen j
Sat May 12 18:13:32 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 08:00:12PM +1000, Nazeer Khan wrote:

> > I am using hostapd-0.5.7 with madwifi-ng for EAP-TLS and EAP-PSK.

> > (Happens when setting up the interface)
> > madwifi_sta_deauth: addr=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff reason_code=3
> > ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument

> This is happening bcz the device is marked down in the following function.
> madwifi_init(struct hostapd_data *hapd)

> Thus if we try to deauthenticate the stations, We get an error.
>
> I tried the following "madwifi_set_iface_flags(drv, 1)", and the above
> error does not happens and the card is configured perfectly fine.

The code for deauthenticating all STAs is from the time when madwifi
driver interface (or even the driver itself) did not exist and I would
assume it never worked with madwifi. Anyway, this is not really critical
functionality.

> So i advice the card should not be marked down during setup,
>
> or
>
> If it needs to be marked down, then the stations should not tried to be
> deauthenticated.

I don't know whether the interface needs to be set down with the current
madwifi-ng version or not. As such, I would just ignore this error for
the time being.

> > (Happens when station disassociates)
> > madwifi_del_key: addr=00:13:ce:ed:28:3c key_idx=0
> > ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_DELKEY]: Invalid argument
> >
> > I was wondering why is this happening.

I would guess that disassociation had already trigered madwifi to drop
the STA entry and related keys and it is just reporting an error since
the key does not exist anymore. In other words, this would also be an
error that could be ignored.