wpa_supplicant and MA311 using hostap-driver

Jouni Malinen j
Tue May 1 19:57:27 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 04:21:25PM +0200, Marco Lierfeld wrote:

> I have a problem using wpa_supplicant (v0.5.7) with a Netgear MA311
> (PCI, Prism2.5 chipset) using the hostap-driver.

Which version of Linux kernel and Host AP driver are you using?

> If I want to connect to my AP via wpa_supplicant, I get the message
>         ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument

> I have loaded the kernel modules for aes and arc4, ieee80211_crypt_tkip
> and ieee80211_crypt_ccmp and of course the hostap_pci and hostap
> modules. My kernelversion is 2.6.17 (but I tested it also with kernel
> 2.6.20).

The most common reason for this type of error would have indeed been
ieee80211_crypt_tkip and _ccmp not being loaded..

> # wpa_supplicant -Dhostap -ieth1

Assuming you are using a recent Linux kernel, you could also use -Dwext
which is the standard interface for Linux drivers. I'm not sure whether
it could help in this particular case, but could be worth a quick test
anyway.

> wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=CCMP key_idx=0 set_tx=1 seq_len=6
> key_len=16
> ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
> Failed to set encryption.
> Crypt algorithm initialization failed.
> WPA: Failed to set PTK to the driver.

Do you see any error messages in 'dmesg' output from kernel after this?