Connection and data exachenge in open/clear mode

Rodolfo Giometti giometti
Thu Mar 29 07:05:59 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to run hostapd in clear mode. Using this configuration file:

   interface=ath0
   bridge=br0
   iapp_interface=br0
   driver=madwifi
   logger_syslog=-1
   logger_syslog_level=2
   logger_stdout=-1
   logger_stdout_level=2
   debug=4
   dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
   ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
   ctrl_interface_group=0
   ssid=myssid
   macaddr_acl=0
   auth_algs=1
   wpa=1
   wpa_passphrase=rodolforodolfo
   wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP

I can connect as "Open System Authentication" and use WPA to exchange data,
but if I set:

   wpa=0

I cannot send/receive no more data, even doing ping!

Can someone tell me where I was wrong? Even not using WPA I still use
wpa_supplicant to get connected with the AP?

What I'd like to have is an open system with roaming so that I can
connect to one AP and then move around without connection lost. I
noticed that wpa_supplicant can choose best AP to connect with so I
think I should use it anyway.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Rodolfo

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127