wpa_gui restarting dhcpcd?

Roy Marples uberlord
Sat Mar 24 20:05:44 PDT 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:00:14 -0400
"Brian Bender" <d6p0d8f02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> To go a step further than Jouni, I don't even think that wpa_cli is
> really the place to do something like that. Establishing a Wi-Fi
> link is like plugging in a network cable, nothing more.

Right, it's not.
wpa_cli shares the same behaviour as ifplugd/netplugd in Gentoo -
basically signal the interface that another loop has been closed.

We can do this

netplugd - cable inserted
netplugd notifies eth0
eth0 than looks at config
config says  - launch wpa_supplicant
this launches wpa_cli to monitor wpa_supplicant
wpa_cli then starts eth0 again
eth0 than works out we have no more links or auth, so we finally
configure addresses, routes and DNS.

We also also do ARP DAD detection, or choose static vs DHCP based on
SSID or routers found. This is fairly simple with the correct config as
explained in /etc/conf.d/net.example.

This works very well. Of course, the above is a little more complex,
but it's also a working overview of how we plug things together in
Gentoo.

Thanks

Roy