hostapd unknown errors

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Sat Mar 24 19:40:05 PDT 2007

Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 12:09:30PM +0000, Dimitris Theoharis wrote:
>>
>> wlan0ap_rename  IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"  Nickname:""
>>           Mode:Master  Access Point: 00:09:5B:91:B2:A5   Bit Rate:11
>> Mb/s
>
> Looks like you have something renaming the interface (that
> wlan0ap_rename was likely originally wlan0ap). I would suggest
> disabling this (udev/hotplug/ifrename/whatever) for this interface.

It's probably udev; it's probably trying to give the same name to two
different interfaces.

If the problem is a collision between two different rules, then the
easiest fix is probably to kill all the udev persistent-net generated
rules files and let them re-generate; the problem with that approach is
your interface numbering is likely to change.  If you don't want that
numbering to change, then you'll have to edit the files and remove the
collision.

But the problem may not be two separate rules that assign the same
interface name; it may be that your persistent-net implementation is so
old that it doesn't properly handle NICs that create multiple OS-level
interfaces.  Basically, ensure you're using the latest udev.  (Several
other fixes went into the persistent-net-generator rules in one of the
last couple releases, too.)