Driver Installation Ubuntu kernel 2.6.17 Basic Help

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Mar 21 18:58:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:01:14PM +0100, ahuguet at cttc.es wrote:

> Reading it, seems that the only way to make use of that HostAP driver
> (with modified code lines on .c and .h files) is to compile the kernel
> anew?
>
> Couldn't be a way to just tell the system to compile HostAP, and use that
> "new" version, without need of recompiling the whole kernel?

If you build Host AP driver as a kernel module, you can just rebuild it
and reload the modules to update the driver without having to
rebuild or reboot the full kernel.

> Also, how can I know what version of HostAP is the one at
> /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17/drivers/net/wireless/hostap?

It is "the version that comes with Linux 2.6.17". There is no external
package with the same driver and as such, no mapping to any other
version number.