MacBook client drops packets

Casey T. Deccio casey
Sat Mar 10 12:21:05 PST 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> And now that there is one other person who can confirm the problem, I
> suppose I should ping the Debian package maintainer that hostap needs
> an upgrade in "unstable".
>
> Out of curiosity, let me know whether you start seeing errors like
> this in the log files on the machine running hostap:
>
> Mar 10 14:09:03 ten22 kernel: TKIP: ICV error detected:
> STA=00:19:7d:58:d9:04
> Mar 10 14:09:03 ten22 kernel: wifi0: decryption failed (SA=00:19:7d:
> 58:d9:04) res=-5
>
> They started appearing in my own logs the day that I upgraded hostap.

Actually, I've been seeing those for months--well before I upgraded.
However, I'm really not sure how it's affected my network.

On a tangentially-related note, when I upgraded to Debian's
2.6.18-3-686 kernel I was unable to maintain an association with the
AP.  It would associate, then after experiencing some traffic, it
would disassociate, usually reporting that the wireless network
appeared to have been compromised.  The log, IIRC, had many Michael
MIC errors and some replay errors, which I assume were related to
this.  I had to revert to the 2.6.17-2-686 kernel to restore
consistent functionality.  I upgraded to the 2.6.18-4-686 kernel
yesterday, and it seems that the problem was fixed.

Regards,
Casey