Gentoo 2.6.20, Broadcom 4311 and wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Mar 9 08:01:44 PST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 08:45:33AM +0000, Jason Gerfen wrote:

> I am not sure why I am not able to use a shared public certificate with
> wpa_supplicant.

What makes you believe you cannot use that certificate? The debug log
did not show the card even getting associated, never mind getting to the
point where that certificate would be used..

> Any help, pointers is appreciated. In the output from running
> 'wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' I am recieving an error of the
> following:
>
> wpa_driver_wext_associate
> ioctl[SIOCSIWFREQ]: Invalid argument
> Association request to the driver failed
> Setting authentication timeout: 5 sec 0 usec

Even if SIOCSIWFREQ fails, driver_wext.c will try to set SSID which
should trigger the driver to try to associate.

> %> uname -a
> Linux juxtapose 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #7 SMP Thu Mar 1 12:06:23 MST 2007
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel
> GNU/Linux
>
> Applied latest bcm43xx patch
> (https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2007-February/003808.html)
> %> cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.20/ && patch -p0 <../patch-bcm43xx

Which kernel are you using? uname says 2.6.19, this patch seems to be
for 2.6.20..

> SoftMAC: Authentication response received from 00:11:24:92:a9:9d but no
> queue item exists.

I would recommend sending this question to SoftMAC maintainers. It looks
like SoftMAC does not manage to associate with the AP which means that
wpa_supplicant does not really have anything it could do here.