Fwd: Re: Master Session Key (MSK) reg

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 6 19:41:11 PST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 06:39:13AM +0000, Aravind babu wrote:

>   CTRL-EVENT-EAP-SUCCESS EAP authentication completed successfully
>   EAP: EAP entering state INITIALIZE
>   CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
>   EAP: maintaining EAP method data for fast reauthentication

This is incorrect and I do not see how this would happen with
wpa_supplicant. Have you modified the code for this test run? EAP is not
supposed to go into INITIALIZE state at this point and
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED could not happen here either with unmodified
wpa_supplicant version..

>   After completion of EAP Authentication , EAP is going to INITIALIZE state where the eapKeyData is freed.That's why key is becoming NULL.Can you please tell me in which cases of supplicant EAP will
>   going to INITIALIZE state ?

Incorrect modification of the EAP state machine would be my first
guess.. I don't know what was done to it, but at least it seems to be
triggering WPA_EVENT_EAP_STARTED events in quite odd places whereas
there is only one place that this would happen with unmodified
wpa_supplicant version.

EAP state machine has a global transition to INITIALIZE state if
eapRestart (from 802.1X/EAPOL state machines) is set to TRUE. I would
guess that that is happening here, but since I do not know what was
changed, I have no way of knowing what triggers this.