Make hostapd-0.5.8 as Authentication server

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jun 8 07:05:31 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 05:56:51PM +0800, ?L ?X?p wrote:

> I am using the files from http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/, and the
> version is 0.5.8.
> I hope to use EAP-AKA as the authentication method and make hostapd as the
> stand-alone authentication server.
> Not planning to use hostapd as the AP and the integrated server, but treat
> it as an authentication server, which communicates with external AP through
> wired network
> Can hostapd do this functionality? Actually, I am not sure about this.

Yes, hostapd can be configured to act as a RADIUS authentication server
and not to control a wireless interface.

> I use the cmd ./hostapd -ddK hostapd.conf to start hostapd.
> But I get a segmentation fault message.
> Like this:
> Configuration file: hostapd.conf
> Segmentation fault.

That's a bug in hostapd somewhere. It shouldn't really crash, but
provide more useful error message here..

> Here is my .config file and hostapd.conf file:
> 1.  .config

You need to add following line into .config:

CONFIG_DRIVER_TEST=y

> # RADIUS authentication server. This provides access to the integrated EAP
> # server from external hosts using RADIUS.
> #CONFIG_RADIUS_SERVER=y

And that line needs to be uncommented.