Question about AP hopping

Aric D. Blumer aric
Fri Jun 1 11:19:11 PDT 2007

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:32 -0400, Aric D. Blumer wrote:

> Depends on quite a few things.  If the firmware does the roaming, it's
> all up to the firmware.  If you've specified a particular BSSID, then
> the driver/card should hang onto that BSSID forever.  I'm not sure if
> hostap has driver-level roaming support, but if the firmware doesn't do
> roaming for you (it's true that many do) then you'll need a userspace
> tool to work it all out.
>
> Dan

Thanks for this info Dan.  It got me thinking about whether host_roaming
was required to be set, and looking at the code, I discovered that when
WPA is being used, the hostap_ioctl.c code turns roaming off [*].  Not
sure why this is the case.  I hacked the code to leave host_roaming
alone, and it now works.

* hostap_ioctl.c, prism2_ioctl_siwauth() function, in the
IW_AUTH_WPA_ENABLED case.