wpa_authentication but dhcp timeout

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Jan 6 19:32:59 PST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:37:09PM -0500, Alexander wrote:

> I changed wep_key0 to wep_key1, and now the dhcp server responds and
> gives me an ip adress.
> Logging at my logs and wp_cli, I can't see a difference in the output
> of wpa_supplicant however - it said
> wpa_cli: interface wlan0 CONNECTED
>
> before as well.

IEEE 802.11 with Open System authentication and WEP does not require the
WEP keys to match for association to work. In other words, neither the
driver nor wpa_supplicant really know whether the data connection is
working or not. The only way to know whether it works is to try to use
the data connection..