Hostap station mode active scan question

Sriram Chadalavada swenggsri
Fri Jan 5 16:35:31 PST 2007

> > If I use the 'iwlist wlan0 scan' command, does the card firmware perform
> > an
> > > active scan with probe requests or does it simply perform a passive
> > scan of
> > > the values already obtained from AP beacons?
> >
> > This may depend on the firmware and regulatory configuration.. Should be
> > easy to figure out with a wireless sniffer, though.
> >
> > >From the hostap README, I came to know of the 'iwpriv wlan0 host_scan
> > <x>'
> > > command which performs an active scan. Does this work even in the
> > default
> > > firmware roaming mode?
> >
> > Maybe, if you have new enough firmware.
>

>From Ethereal, I found out that  both 'iwlist scan' and 'iwpriv host_scan'
commands cause the cards to send out probe requests.

We are using STA firmware rev 1.7.4 on one card and 1.8.3 on the other and
> the cards are FCC approved for use in the US.
>
> > Also, is there a way I can restrict the active scan to be performed only
> > in
> > > one channel at a time? Please let me know.
> >
> > iwpriv wlan0 scan_channels <bitmask>

This option was not recognized. I am using hostap 0.3.9, hostap tools 0.3.7,
wireless tools 27.

Also, could someone confirm that hostap uses long preambles in the station
mode?

Thanks,
Sriram C.