wpa_authentication but dhcp timeout

Alexander alejck
Fri Jan 5 16:25:03 PST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a Linksys WCG200v2-CC modem/wired
router/wireless router using wpa_supplicant. I can connect (without
wpa_supplicant) using an ethernet cable to this router, and I can
connect with my wpa_supplicant setup to at least one wpa-enabled ap.
What's more, according to wpa_cli wpa_supplicant is connected, but
dhcpcd times out waiting for a valid dhcp response from the router.
Two other people (using windows xp) are able to connect to the
wireless router. So wpa_supplicant in general seems to work with wpa
at least, the router works with other authentication systems, and the
router works with an ethernet connection, but the combination
wpa_supplicant and the wireless router does not work.

Setup info:

Gentoo GNU/Linux
kernel: 2.6.17-gentoo-r8

wpa_supplicant:
version 0.5.4

dhcpcd:
version 2.0.5

ndiswrapper:
utils version: 1.9
driver version: 1.25

wpa_supplicant.conf:

 ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
 ctrl_interface_group=wheel
 eapol_version=2
 ap_scan=2

//---cut----//

# WEP- at home
network={
 ssid="our network"
 key_mgmt=NONE
 wep_key1= //---cut----//
 wep_tx_keyidx=0
 priority=2
}

wpa_cli output:

status verbose:

bssid=//--cut--//
ssid=our network
id=1
pairwise_cipher=WEP-104
group_cipher=WEP-104
key_mgmt=NONE
wpa_state=COMPLETED

log output:

Jan  5 18:42:43 localhost wpa_cli: interface wlan0 CONNECTED
Jan  5 18:42:44 localhost dhcpcd[14548]: MAC address = 00:14:a4:22:b2:2d
Jan  5 18:44:44 localhost dhcpcd[14548]: timed out waiting for a valid
DHCP server response
Jan  5 18:44:44 localhost wpa_cli: executing '/etc/init.d/net.wlan0
--quiet start' failed

So far I've called the ISP, Comcast, a couple of times, but they 'do
not support linux' and are in general unwilling to help. I share the
connection so I can't change the router/ISP.

I've searched quiet a lot of forums etc for combinations of
wpa_supplicant, dhcp, wcg200, but struck out.

I don't know what the problem might be, or how to proceed in trying to
find out what it might be, so I'm grateful for any suggestions and
pointers.

Alexander