WPA2-PSK with TKIP fails to set GTK/PTK to driver: ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMODE]: No such device or address

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Feb 14 19:53:54 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 02:01:59AM +0200, kstauffer wrote:

> For some reason GTK or PTK cannot be installed to driver and
> authentication to WPA2 AP fails when TKIP is used.

Please make sure that wlan_tkip module is loaded (e.g., try to run
"modprobe wlan_tkip" to load it). I would also recommend testing this
with WMM disabled since there are some special cases with Atheros
hardware when using TKIP with WMM and I don't know whether madwifi
supports all of them.

> If switched to CCMP, authentication is successfull according to
> wpa_supplicant logs but immediately after authentication 4Way Handshake
> is restarted and it fails.
> "WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect" message
> appears, though PSK is correct.

Can you please test this, too, with WMM disabled? The AP operations in
WPA2+WMM mode is somewhat suspicious since it claims to only support two
replay counters, but WMM would usually use four..