Name server IP address

hce webmail.hce
Tue Dec 18 19:08:02 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 12:56 PM, Bhasker C V <bhasker at unixindia.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, hce wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using dhcp client to get assigned IP address from the server
> > after calling wpa_supplicant. But, it seems that the dhcp client could
> > not get IP address without a nameserver in resolv.conf. I can manully
> > add a nameserver to the resolv.conf on my home AP. But, if I take my
> > device to the street, I don't have knowledge of the nameserver for
> > that street AP. So, the question are:
> >
> > (a) How can I create the nameserver in resolv.conf dynamically before
> > calling the dhcp client?
>   The nameserver information present in the AP must be needed by the
> AP only and not used in the process of association.
>   However, DHCP is configured to send the nameserver information. I think
> the DHCP server may be misconfigured. Can you try connecting the machine
> through a wired network ?  The result may be same. dhcpd.conf file must
> have an entry
>   option domain-name-servers   a.b.c.d;

I am using a NETGEAR AP model WGR614. I set following to the AP:

Tick Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP address 192.168.2.2
Ending IP address 192.168.2.51.

I guess it is configured well. But the dhcp process from my wifi
device will be failed if the nameserver on resolv.conf is empty. Am I
missing something for configuing the DHCP server correctly for this
AP?

You are right, that the DHCP server in a wired network have an entry
of "option domain-name-servers   a.b.c.d". I guess the DHCP process
updates the resolv.conf in a wired network. The question is why the
dhcp process failed to create a resolv.conf in a wifi network? How
does other poeple resolve this issue?

> > (b) The wpa_supplicant does not need an IP address or nameserver to
> > scan the APs, can the wpa_supplicant get the nameserver or IP address
> > from the scanning AP process?
> wpa supplicant establishes connection at the Layer 2 of OSI layer and
> so there is no need for wpa_supplicant to be aware of the higher layers
> like layer 3 where the ip address comes into picture.
> >

> Try troubleshooting the DHCP server...

Don't know how to do it?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,