AR5212 "Association requestion to the driver failed"

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Dec 13 13:27:29 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 13:06 -0500, Chase Douglas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got two IBM/Lenovo laptops, a t41p and a t60. Both have the Atheros
> 5212 wireless chips in them. Both have madwifi-ng-0.9.3.3 and
> wpa_supplicant-0.5.8. Both are configured to connect to my home WPA
> network using the same block:
>
> network={
> 	priority=1
> 	ssid="myssid"
> 	psk="mypsk"
> }
>
> However, the t60 can connect to the network while the t41p cannot. Under
> wpa_cli, the t41p prints:
>
> Trying to associate with <myroutermacaddr> (SSID='myssid' freq=myfreq)
> Association requestion to the driver failed
> Associated with <myroutermacaddr>
> CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys

wpa_supplicant says that when the wpa_drv_associate() function returns
an error code.  The most usual cause of that is that the driver does not
support some of the parameters wpa_supplicant is try to set.  That's OK,
it's normal that drivers don't support all of the ioctls.  And the
association routine should just ignore those parameters that fail unless
they really are fatal.

So you'll need to get more debugging output about _what_ call failed to
determine whether or not it's an important failure.  On Fedora we have a
patch that prints out specifically which calls the driver does not
support, which aids in debugging.

Are you using the 'madwifi' driver or the 'wext' driver?  If you're
using the madwifi driver, try the 'wext' driver instead.

Dan