wpasupplicant and multiple/hidden SSIDs

Dave Hansen dave
Fri Dec 7 11:31:20 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 14:12 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> What you _really_ want is ap_scan=1 + scan_ssid=1 in your network block.
> Try that.  If your driver supports specific SSID scanning, it'll
> probably work for you.  If your driver doesn't then you probably need to
> get a better network card or find a good driver :)  Any driver based on
> mac80211, or the ipw2200, or the hostap driver will work with
> scan_ssid=1.  Most others, probably not.

I actually have an ipw2200.

The problem is that I don't think the scan_ssid=1 logic comes into play
until it finds an explicitly hidden ssid.  In my case, I think
wpasupplicant looks around and sees the ~10 "VISITOR" access points,
notes that it doesn't have any config entries for them, then promptly
ignores them. :(

It partly doesn't find matches because the aps somehow don't advertise
WPA when you're associated to the "VISITOR" ssid.  It hits this message,
btw:
        if (proto_match == 0)
                wpa_printf(MSG_DEBUG, "   skip - no WPA/RSN proto match");

I actually went in and hacked wpa_supplicant_ssid_bss_match()  to trick
wpasupplicant into trying to associate with the aps to get around this.

-- Dave