Not using modified module

ahuguet at cttc.es ahuguet
Wed Apr 11 02:07:42 PDT 2007

Greetings,

I've edited hostap_80211_rx.c file.

I added this instruction:
printk(KERN_DEBUG "I've received a packet");

Just after hdrlen = hostap_80211_get_hdrlen(fc); on void hostap_80211_rx
function.

I've saved the changes to the file.
The file is located on
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17/drivers/net/wireless/hostap

I've compiled it following the instructions obtained in this mailing list.
Being superuser:

1) make -C /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
2) make -C /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
3) depmod -ae

I've then setup a machine that has a card using hostap, as master.
I've set up another machine as managed, and sending UDP packets to the
master.

I expected that, running dmesg on the master machine should give me lots
of messages with "I've received a packet" but got none, though the UDP
packets are being sent (I can see using ifconfig that lots of packets are
being received, and increasing everytime I run it)

I suspect that this happens because the card is not using the modified
hostap module, with the printk instruction in it. Otherwise I cannot
understand why the debug messages aren't shown when using dmesg command.

I've tried unloading the hostap and hostap_cs modules, both with modprobe
-r and rmmod, but it says they're in use.
I'm using a PC card connected to a PCI slot through an adaptor.
I'd like to know how to make the system use the newly compiled modules,
for I think it's still using the default ones.

Thanks for your help.