Driver Installation Ubuntu kernel 2.6.17 Basic Help

Bob Beers bob.beers
Thu Apr 5 06:43:47 PDT 2007

On 4/5/07, ahuguet at cttc.es <ahuguet at cttc.es> wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> Substituting SUBDIRS=./ with SUBDIRS=`pwd` was the key.
> Could you explain what the `pwd` order differs with ./ so that it now
> works?

Thanks for that suggestion Bryan.

I can't resist jumping back into the thread for a second, though. :)

pwd returns the p_resent w_orking d_irectory.
the back-ticks, "``", indicate to execute the command between the marks.
 (I think bash has deprecated that usage in favor of "$()", but I don't know
 which way is more portable across different shells.)
So when the make command is executed, the `pwd` gets replaced
 with the present working directory, in your case:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-11/drivers/net/wireless/hostap
(it should be the same as ./, but hey, your mileage will obviously vary)
So perhaps I will update my 'recipe' to use

make -C /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 SUBDIRS=$(/bin/pwd)  modules

I was afraid the compiled modules would not be portable. Somehow I
> expected something similar to a java applet, as if the modules would need
> a "java virtual machine" ("module virtual machine" :) ) that ends the job.
>
> I guess there should be no problem taking the code and compiling the
> sources on another Linux.

You can compile the modules on one box and transfer them to another for
 kernel source and .config used to build the kernel and modules of the other
box,
 you need the same version of gcc.  When you transfer the new *.ko files,
 you must make sure there are not old versions in another location --
usually
 not a problem for in-tree modules.  This is very handy when your target
 machine takes a long time to compile code, or does not have the space
 to hold all the kernel sources.  It's a kind of minimal cross-compile.