wpa_supplicant: roaming functionality

Dan Williams dcbw
Fri Sep 22 07:14:41 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 15:11 +0530, Pradeep Sengar wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two open networks with ssid "Guest1"(AP1) & "Guest2"(AP2).
> Configuration files look likes this:
>
> network= {
>               ssid = "Guest1"
>               key_mgmt=NONE
>  }
> network= {
>               ssid = "Guest2"
>               key_mgmt=NONE
>  }

Any reason the two access points don't have the same SSID?  That's the
normal roaming case.  If you control them, make both have the same SSID
and put them on different channels.  That's what 'roaming' really is in
the strictest sense, being able to move between coverage in the _same_
system.  You've got it set up as two different systems.

> I am running wpa_supplicant as service(wpasvc) and using wpa_cli to
> connect to the network.
> I want to check the roaming functionality of wpa_supplicant. The idea
> is
> 1) To connect to the network with the greater signal strength.
> 2) When I am connected to one AP (say Guest1) and i switch it off
> manually I automatically get connected to the other AP.
>
> How can I test the above mentioned functionalities using wpa_cli? What
> are the commands that I need to execute from wpa_cli?
> what should be the "ap_scan" value in this case?

The way you have it now (with different SSIDs) you probably want
ap_scan=1 to let wpa_supplicant try to control scanning.  If you use
ap_scan=2 the card & driver will control the roaming, which will only
work if you had both aps on the same SSID.

Furthermore, are both APs on the same network?  Or are they physically
separate LANs?  Because if they are separate, you'll need to do a DHCP
after each connection attempt because your IP address can't necessarily
transfer over to a different network.  And then that's not really
seamless roaming any more.

Dan