H2 properly Test that a card is a WiFi NIC?

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Sep 18 08:51:29 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 10:22 -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:
> What test is used by the supplicant to determine whether an adaptor is
> actually a wifi card that will work with the sup / service?
>
> I know it sends the get_capabilities OID as a packetrequest, but there
> are some further test, aren't there?
>
> I believe that the get_capabilities really tests whether the NIC can
> handle WPA, is that a correct statement?
>
> I believe that requesting a scan would be a good wifi test.

No; since that may stop the card from transmitting/receiving any traffic
for a while.  If wpa_supplicant can't figure out from the _driver_
somehow whether or not the card is a wifi card, then there are big
problems with the Windows driver model.

Seriously, if the driver doesn't have a mechanism to return capabilities
or some 802.11-specific call that can be done (like getting the SSID),
then there's something wrong.  But I'm fairly sure it does (?).

dan