How to enable the master mode of my card?

Aubrey aubreylee
Mon Sep 18 01:10:51 PDT 2006

On 9/18/06, Vinod L R <vinodl at aztecsoft.com> wrote:

> Destroy ur interface and create in master mode

Sorry, I don't understand.
What I have done is as follows, Isn't it enough?

root:~> iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"workgroup"  Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00  Bit Rate:11Mb/s
          Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:-68 dBm  Noise level:-122 dBm

root:~> iwconfig eth1 essid workgroup
root:~> iwconfig eth1 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

>( which version of madwifi
> are u using)

I'm using the driver for Lucent Orinoco, Prism II based and similar
wireless cards,
I think it's the newest driver in the latest linux kernel.

Regards,
-Aubrey