eapol_test name resolution has suddenly broke!

Josh Howlett josh.howlett
Thu Sep 7 02:27:47 PDT 2006

I have been using eapol_test regularly to test EAP authentication
against remote RADIUS servers.

Recently it just stopped working for no obvious reason. It seemed to be
timing out:

recv[RADIUS]: Connection refused
recv[RADIUS]: Connection refused
recv[RADIUS]: Connection refused

etc...

However, I could use radtest (with PAP) with no problems.

A tcpdump indicated that no network traffic was being sent over the
wire. I then did an strace, which showed the following:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
write(1, "Authentication server 0.0.0.0:18"..., 35Authentication server
0.0.0.0:1812
) = 35
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(1812),
sin_addr=inet_addr("0.0.0.0")}, 16) = 0

I then tried using the IP address of the remote server (rather than the
hostname) and it started working! Name resolution on the system appears
to be working normally otherwise...

Anyone got any suggestions how to fix this?

josh.