Platform Tests for the recent supplicant (with pipes)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Sep 2 11:00:01 PDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:21:24AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> Has the recent supplicant (with pipes) been tested on Windows
> platforms before XP?

Not to my knowledge.

> I am remembering that the win98 cannot CreateNamedPipe - unless that
> has been added to 98 after I was deving a pipe project in 1998.

Based on MSDN, CreateNamedPipe() requires WinNT, Win2k or newer, so
Win98 does not have it.

> if that is the case, the code would have to branch on OS level to
> either Pipes (NT and on) and sockets for prior.  or build two versions
> of the apps (pipes v. socket)

Yes, Win9x/Me would need to use a separate build that is using the UDP
socket for control interface. Anyway, I do not think that the current
WMI code would work on Win9x/Me or at least I have not heard of a clear
report of it working as-is. In other words, some additional changes
would likely be needed to make wpa_supplicant work with Win98.