[wpa-supplicant] How to control association timeout?

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Oct 30 08:48:18 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 16:40 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been told that this is the correct list for wpa_supplicant
> issues. If not, please point me in the right direction.
>
> I am using wpa_supplicant on Debian sid (version 0.5.5-2) with current
> kernel and an ipw2200 interface. I am frequenly moving between my own
> wireless LAN (WPA-PSK) and the wireless LAN at my girlfriend's place
> (WEP-128 with hidden ssid). Here my wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=0
>
> dot11RSNAConfigSATimeout=10
>
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=2
> fast_reauth=1
>
> network={
>         id_str="wlan-home"
>         ssid="<mine>"
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         psk=<mine>
> }
>
> network={
>         id_str="wlan-girlfriend"
>         ssid="<hers>"
>         key_mgmt=NONE
>         wep_key0=<hers>
>         scan_ssid=1
> }
>
> At her place, my notebook first tries to associate to my home wireless
> LAN for 60 seconds before moving on to her wireless LAN, where the
> association succeeds immediately.
>
> How can I shorten that time to, say, 5 seconds?

Don't use ap_scan = 2?  That lets wpa_supplicant do a scan to find out
which network actually exists before trying it.  Re-adjusting the
association timeout is a gross hack here that just covers the real
problem.

dan