Does prism based WLAN card only support HOSTAP?

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Oct 9 06:41:07 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 10:33 +0900, ??? wrote:
> I saw that linux driver for prism 2/2.5/3 must be necessary for
> running hostap.
>
> However, it is so difficult to get prism based wlan card.
>
> Is there another chipset based wlan card, not prism based wlan card
> for running hostap?

There are actually two parts to hostap; hostapd, which is a daemon which
provides access point capabilities and services, and the hostap driver,
which is a device driver for prism 2/2.5 wireless devices.  The Hostap
_driver_ will only work with prism 2/2.5/3(?) devices.  But the hostap
_daemon_ should work with at least prism 2/2.5/3(?) devices using the
hostap driver, and atheros devices using the madwifi driver, and
possibly also prism54 devices using the prism54 driver.

Dan