Slow wireless

Greg Stark gsstark
Mon Oct 2 13:13:56 PDT 2006

Tom Simes <simestd at netexpress.com> writes:

> My first guess would be interference of some sort.
>
> Have you done a survey looking for nearby access points?  You might
> start by turning off your access point and using Kismet (or another
> sniffer) to conduct a quick survey and pick a channel.  Remember that
> the channels only have 5 Mhz separation, but each uses 22 Mhz total
> bandwidth.

I did "iwlist scanning" earlier and noted several other networks. However
they're all on channels 6 and 11 so I thought I was safe with channel 3. The
other networks are 54Mb/s networks, does that affect things? And 22Mhz
bandwidth, does that mean 11Mhz on either side so at least 5 channels
separation? So only channels 1, 6, and 11 are actually useful?

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00802846a2.html
>
> Also, any chance you have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone?

I specifically bought a 900Mhz phone instead and have been suffering with poor
sound quality. I hope it's worth it in the end :)

I wonder what else could be causing interference though. The router's case is
off, can the motherboard or other cards cause interference?

--
greg