wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Oct 2 09:58:24 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 18:50 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Okt 2006, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > > The main features of the latest beta is WE-21 support (long/short
> > > retry, power saving level, modulation), enhanced command line parser
> > > in iwconfig, scanning options, more WPA support and more footprint
> > > reduction tricks
> >
> > Bingo. I build the new 29-pre10 and everything is working.
>
> Sorry, that was over-optimistic. still same behaviour as with the Debian
> v28 version.
>
> The last character is cut of from wpa_supplicant. I have to set the
> essid by hadn with
> 	"real-essid "
> mark the space at the end!

You have a mismatch between your wireless-tools, your kernel, and/or
wpa_supplicant.  WE-21 uses the _real_ ssid length rather than the
kludge of hacking off the last byte used previously.  Please ensure that
your tools, driver, and kernel are using WE-21.
'cat /proc/net/wireless' should tell you what your kernel is using.
Getting the driver WE is a bit harder and you may have to look at the
source.

Dan