Can hostapd co-exist with wpa supplicant??

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Nov 6 20:34:14 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 06:52:10PM +0530, jithu.jance at wipro.com wrote:

> Can a hostapd co-exist with wpa supplicant??

On a same system, yes if there are multiple network adapter. On the same
network adapter, no.

> If we are having a virtual AP and an STA on the same physical WLAN card
> and if both are supporting WPA then we need to have hostapd and wpa
> supplicant co-exist together,no??

Yes and in this case the virtual adapters would could as multiple
network adapters and this could work.

> Are there any major problems in supporting a virtual AP and STA on the
> same card??

The normal operation for a client is to find an AP from any available
and change to that channel. This means that the virtual AP would also be
changing channels. This may or may not be acceptable depending on what
this system would be used for.