wpa_cli event handling (revisited)

Roy Marples uberlord
Thu May 25 03:26:50 PDT 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 11:21, Kel Modderman wrote:
> Roy Marples wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 May 2006 09:00, Kel Modderman wrote:
> >> The patch attached to the previous mail was not working as expected. So
> >> i guess what I am really asking here is; should 'wpa_cli terminate'
> >> cause a DISCONNECTED event if currently associated?
> >
> > I'm guessing not as if wpa_cli is terminated then the thing that is
> > terminating it should be taking down the rest of the interface too.
>
> Well, wpa_cli is terminating itself (wpa_cli -i iface terminate), and if
> a wpa_action script is active, and the iface is associated/connected, I
> thought that maybe the wpa_action script should be taking down the iface
> too.

Then you may have a race. Gentoo init scripts can take care of this, but other
distro's may not be so flexible.

I would say that if wpa_supplicant terminates then it should send a DISCONNECT
to wpa_cli causing the script to run. However, if I terminate wpa_cli I may
not want the DISCONNECT even to happen as wpa_supplicant which controls the
link may be running still so the link is still valid.

--
Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org>
Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)