wpa-supplicant for adhoc network with more than 2 nodes ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri May 19 22:41:56 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:16:34AM +0200, Ly Hong wrote:

> it seems that wpa-supplicant using TKIP does not support IBSS mode with
> more the 2 nodes.

wpa_supplicant does not do any per-STA processing in IBSS mode for
WPA-None, so I would be surprised if this were the case. Which driver
are you using?

> The reason I guess is the limitation of storing the keys in harware,
> since most standard IEEE 802.11 hardware designs only allow up to 4
> different keys installed in the memory.

WPA-None is sharing the same key with all clients..

> As I have understood, for each ad hoc link a different WPA transient key
> (a set of 4 keys) is needed for pairwise communications over each link.
> Hence there may be up to N * (N - 1) / 2 separate transient keys for
> pairwise communication within a network of N nodes.

This would be IEEE 802.11i IBSS, not WPA. You are talking about WPA TK,
so I'm assuming this is indeed WPA-None, not IEEE 802.11i IBSS. Anyway,
wpa_supplicant does not currently support IEEE 802.11i IBSS.