udevd having problems renaming interface to eth0?

Matthew T. Brewer mbrewer
Mon May 15 12:34:17 PDT 2006

>From what I've heard, Debian has just incorporated a new set of udev
scripts which remember some identifying information (I believe the mac
address) for every card you insert. Whatever it names that card that time
it refuses to name anything else that name, reserving it only for that
card. A friend of mine ended up at eth10 this way, with no other ethernet
devices, because he used alot of different cards.

I don't know whether that's related, but it seems likely.