Association slow when configured with multiple networks?

David Ramsden david
Mon May 1 07:43:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

Is it normal for wpa_supplicant to take a very long time to associate if
there are multiple networks specified in the configuration? I have three
networks in my configuration. Two are WPA-PSK and the other is WPA-EAP.

What I'm experiencing is slow association with any network that's not at
the top of my configuration file, which is a bit annoying. I'm not sure
if this is a bug, a problem with my configuration or if it's "by design".

My configuration looks like:
----
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1

network={
	ssid="university"
	scan_ssid=0
	proto=WPA
	key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
	eap=TTLS
	pairwise=TKIP
	group=TKIP
	identity="username"
	password="password"
	ca_cert=/home/david/wireless/UOP-b64.cer"
	phase="auth=PAP"
}

network={
	# ssid hidden
	ssid="home"
	scan_ssid=0
	proto=WPA
	key_mgmnt=WPA-PSK
	pairwise=TKIP
	group=TKIP
	psk=...
}

network={
	# ssid hidden
	ssid="work"
	scan_ssid=0
	proto=WPA
	key_mgmnt=WPA-PSK
	pairwise=TKIP
	group=TKIP
	psk=...
}
----

So if I go to University, associating with the network is fine (it's the
first network in the configuration). If I go home, I have to wait for
wpa_supplicant to give up trying to associate with the University
network and "move on". The same applies for the work network.

Sometimes I reorder my configuration and restart wpa_supplicant because
it's quicker than waiting for it to associate.

Right now I'm at home and running wpa_supplicant with verbose debugging,
I see it saying "Received xxx bytes of scan results (1 BSSes)" and "Scan
results: 1" constantly until it gives up trying to associate with the
University network and moves on to the home network.

Version information:
* ipw2200         : 1.1.2
* ipw2200 firmware: 3.0
* ieee80211       : 1.13