wpa_supplicant scanning + association time

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Mar 29 19:16:58 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:03:15PM -0500, Rafa Marin Lopez wrote:

> I noticed, that starting wpa_supplicant, there is a big delay (around 3
> seconds) before starting EAP-TLS authentication.

Which version of wpa_supplicant are you using and with what driver? Do
you use ap_scan=1 or ap_scan=2 mode? wpa_supplicant 0.5.2 completes
WPA-PSK authentication within half a second or so from startup with
madwifi-ng in my test setup. With ap_scan=1, most of the time is likely
spent waiting for the driver to scan for APs unless the results are
already available when wpa_supplicant is started. ap_scan=2 may be quite
a bit faster if the driver supports it.