wpa_supplicant executable size/memory size

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Mar 29 19:12:28 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 02:39:04PM -0800, ifreebiz at fastmail.fm wrote:

> I need to adapt wpa_supplicant for an embedded system. I need to
> estimate the resouces it needs. I am wondering how much is the size of
> the wpa_supplicant executable on your system? How much memory it uses on
> your system?  I just want to get some rough idea. Any suggestions?

I would suggest building it for your target system with the
configuration that includes only the features you need and then taking a
look at the end result..

This depends a lot on the build-time configuration (mainly on what EAP
methods are included). Minimal build with WPA/WPA2-Personal is
somewhere around 50 kB and largest build is likely around 250 kB or so.
If TLS is used, TLS library is needed on top of this and if the system
does not include it anyway, this could add around 700-1000 kB if OpenSSL
is used (again, depending on configuration).

As far as dynamic memory use is concerned, that is also depending
greatly on the used configuration. Very rough estimate would be around
10-20 kB for WPA/WPA2-Personal and maybe around 50-150 kB for
WPA/WPA2-Enterprise with TLS. No guarantees on correctness for these
values, though ;-).