Question about hostapd (authenticator) support for wired (Ethernet) clients

Sebastian Weitzel togg
Tue Mar 28 12:33:52 PST 2006

Zitat von Kuba Konczyk <jakamkon at gmail.com>:

> Hello Sebastian,
>
> 2006/3/28, Sebastian Weitzel <togg at togg.de>:
>> It's been a while I've looked in the Standard. However my former
>> coworker Gunter Burchardt thought about the ebtables solution for
>> implementing the access control, but he dropped this thought because
>> of not beeing flexible enough. He implemented it in C instead.
> What sort of ebtables solution do you mean?On the kernel level or in
> the user space?
> Why ebtables solution wasn't flexible?

No question - ebtables could be used for this task. But using ebtables
you are required to setup a bridge. The PAE functionaliy itself is not
dependent on bridging, so why we should introduce such dependency.
Gunters PAE kernel module uses Layer2 patch in kernel. I think this is
a more generous approach.

--
Sebastian Weitzel