Need Multi-Auth Information

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Mar 22 20:15:28 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:49:08PM +0530, Prasenjit Manna wrote:

> I want to know some informations regarding How multi-auth works in wired
> setup.
> 1. What is the destination address of EAPOL packet? Is this unicast or
> group address?

IEEE 802.1X requires that the PAE group address (01:80:c2:00:00:03) is
used as the destination address in wired Ethernet networks.

>     In single-host mode, Authenticator sends EAPOL-Request/Identity
> packets to wire.
>     The same this is applicable here for multi-auth mode? If it is like
> this, then what will be the destination
>     address of the first packets from authenticator?

All EAPOL frames will be sent to the same group address, so this
requires that there are separate ports (e.g., switch ports) that the
authenticator can use for each supplicant.