clients cann't connect when using hostapd

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Mar 22 20:12:09 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 02:26:36AM +0000, Pelusa Vali wrote:

> wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP

I would suggest starting with only one pairwise cipher configured. There
have been some problems with enabling both of them in some
configurations. It'll be easier to test this once the simplest case has
been known to work.

> buy my clients never can connect with my ap (by the way i use debian etch, kernel 2.6.15.6, madwifi-ng-r1475, hostapd-0.5.1), i mean they try, but never can connect successfully, never can get ip direction from dhcp nor nothing else, this is what hostapd shows when trying to connect a client:

What clients are you using (operating system, wlan hardware, driver,
supplicant, version numbers)?

> ath0: STA 00:0f:66:11:c1:96 WPA: invalid MIC in msg 2/4 of 4-Way Handshake

This is normally a sign of either incorrectly configured WPA
PSK/passphrase or an implementation error. Are you sure that the same
passphrase is configured in both the AP and client?

PS.

hostapd v0.5.1 has a bug that would break the next msg 3/4, so even if
you get through this msg 2/4, you should really upgrade to 0.5.2 in
order to be able to complete authentication successfully.