problem with hostap+ndiswrapper

FireStorm - gandalf_the_gray
Tue Mar 21 15:32:41 PST 2006

Hello Joey,

>it was suggested to try to use a 3rd
>party (i.e., another PC with a wireless card)

I followed your advice and booted the laptop with Knoppix instead of
Devil-Linux. The good news is that now wpa_supplicant works perfectly. The
bad news is that now I have to figure out what's wrong with my Devil Linux
build.

Two things I noticed so far:

1) there is no more "ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such device" repeated 4
times when I launch wpa_supplicant, but only "ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such
device" repeated once.

2) When issuing "wpa_cli status" now I get:

Selected interface 'wlan0'
bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ssid=<xxx>
pairwise_cipher=TKIP
group_cipher=TKIP
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=10.0.69.73
Supplicant PAE state=AUTHENTICATED
suppPortStatus=Authorized
EAP state=SUCCESS

The weird things is that previously (in the non-working scenario) the last 3
lines were missing. Something I messed configuring wpa_supplicant ? Some
kernel support for EAP that was missing ? Any other possibility ?

Thanks

Al