"wpa_supplicant -B -w" ups the interface but the Debian docs say it shouldn't

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Mar 17 18:58:32 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 02:41:38AM +0000, Jaime wrote:

> I am writing to try to find out whether the following behaviour is a bug
> or not:
> When I run "wpa_supplicant -B -w" against my ndiswrapper interface, the
> wpa_supplicant process appears to bring up the interface:

That is the expected behavior.

> The reason why I am writing this email is that Debian's wpa_supplicant
> package contains a file which states that when wpa_supplicant is run
> with the -Bw flags, "the wpa_supplicant daemon will start, and sit
> waiting for the name interface to come up" (rather than bringing up that
> interface).

That "to come up" needs to be interpreted as "to appear".. In other
words, "-w" is used to wait for an interface to be added (no need to set
it UP). This was added for removable devices (pccard/cardbus/usb).